Edwardsburgh Cardinal Burn Permits

Apply for your online permit today.

Current Progress

Welcome to the Edwardsburgh Cardinal Online Open Burn Permit Manager.

Please fill in the form to create a new account and register for your first permit.

Already have an account? Login

Select Permit Type:

Personal Information

Do you rent or own your home?

Information for Renters

If you rent your home, your permit will require approval by your landlord before it becomes valid.

Landlord Information

Open Burn Address 1

Login Details

Confirm Your Location

Please ensure the marker on the map below indicates the correct location for your property. You may use the + and - buttons to zoom in and out, and click-and-drag the marker to place it in the correct location.

Loading map...

Loading addresses...

Your account has been successfully created!

Terms & Conditions

Please select a burn permit type.

Upload Photos for Permit (Optional)

Please upload photos, if available, of the burning site and what you intend to burn.

Select Burn Permit

Sign Here

Signature Of

Notification Methods


Enabling notifications by providing one or more contact methods below will ensure that you receive important information (e.g. changes to risk level, ban status changes etc.)

Text Msg.


Phone Call

Your permit is being created.

Please DO NOT close the window during this time.

Don't forget to call!

Telephone: (613) 704-2699

Absolutely no open burning allowed within Edwardsburgh Cardinal Township.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can obtain a burn permit?

Only the legal property owner can obtain a permit. If you are a tenant, the legal property owner must approve the permit. By approving a burn permit for a tenant, the property owner is taking responsibility for compliance with the permit. Any fines or fees that result from improper burning are the responsibility of the property owner. Permits are conditional and may be revoked at any time.

How can I obtain a burn permit?

You may register online using this website, or you can visit us in person at the Township office, 18 Center Street in Spencerville. Monday - Friday 8:30 - 4:30.

What can I burn?

It depends on the type of fire. Please only burn wood, wood by-products (cardboard, paper etc.) branches/leaves. If you live in; Cardinal, Spencerville, Johnstown or New Wexford you are only allowed to have a campfire no larger than 24" in diameter. You are allowed to burn seasoned (dry) firewood only. You cannot burn; leaves, grass clippings, pine needles or any other yard waste. Under no circumstances can you burn; household garbage, tires or plastic. Wood and wood products only!

Do I need a permit?

If you want to have an open-air fire (bonfire, fire pit etc.) then yes, you need an approved permit. If you are having a barbecue a permit is not required.

What happens if I don't follow the rules?

If you fail to follow the rules and the fire department responds to a burning complaint or out of control fire, the property owner is responsible for all associated costs as set out in By-law 2016-005 Fire Department Fees and Services and/or a fine of up to $25,000 pursuant to the provisions of the Provincial Offences Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. P. 33 as amended.